Cover letters are a weird scenario – email a total stranger and tell them about yourself, knowing they’ll judge you. How do you know what to include? How do you put your best foot forward? How do you even start?
The good news is cover letters don’t have to be complicated. When it comes down to it, the aim of a cover letter is to get your passion across enough for the recipient to open your CV.
To do this, you need to show two things:
- Why you want the job
- What makes you the best person for the job
Why you want the job
In the first couple of sentences, make it clear why you want the job. Try to be personable and explain why you’re getting in touch. Some things you could include are:
- Specific things you like about the company – check for recent news stories, product launches or social media posts.
- Specific things you like about the role – refer back to the job advert.
- Do you follow the company on social media? Have visited their premises? Do you own any of their products? Mention it here.
What makes you the best person for the job
Once you’ve got your passion across, bring in your experience to show why you’re a good fit for the job. Look at the job advert and try to match up your experience to the tasks you’ll be carrying out. You could include:
- Relevant work/volunteer experience and what you learned
- Transferable skills from your studies
- Talks you’ve attended and what you learned
- Books you’ve read and what you enjoyed about them
- A link to your own blog/Instagram where you talk about relevant topics
- Any industry leaders you follow on social media
Example cover letter
Hi <First Name>,
I’m responding to your advert for a Digital Marketing Assistant after seeing it shared on LinkedIn. I’m a big fan of what you guys are doing at <Company> around Corporate Social Responsibility and would love to be part of the team.
I’ve recently graduated from <University>, where I studied Marketing & Advertising and was heavily involved with the Marketing society. I also worked as a Freelance Social Media Manager to support my studies, helping small businesses to grow their following and engagement on Instagram.
Since graduating, I’ve been interning at ABC Digital, running campaigns involving SEO, PPC and marketing automation across a range of industries. I’ve particularly enjoyed working with <Client> and learning more about B2B marketing, which I hope to specialise in going forward. I’ve been reading lots around B2B strategy to boost my knowledge including, most recently, <Book>.
As I come to the end of my internship, I believe my experience across marketing channels and passion for B2B would make me a great fit for the <Company> team. I’ve attached my CV, which outlines the key things I’ve learned from my past experiences as well as some ideas for dream campaigns I’d love to bring to life one day.
Any queries, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Otherwise, I look forward to hearing back from you.
Have a great day!